Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ESG blurb: Eva Siska

Sam Speer
For the Poughkeepsie Journal

My name is Sam Speer, and I'm an intern for the Poughkeepsie Journal sports section. I
recently wrote a feature involving 13-year-old Beacon tennis star Eva Siska being selected to represent the Hudson Valley in the Empire State Games, which will be held in the Buffalo Region from July 21-25.

Despite Siska being an outstanding athlete and tennis player, she really impressed me as a person. During the interview, I realized how articulate she is, which honestly was a surprise given her age.

Another thing I noticed about Siska is how mature she is. She answered some technical questions instantly with almost no hesitation. It is obvious that she is wise beyond her years.

This statement is true both on and off the court.

Playing with older competitors is going to be quite a valuable experience for Siska. I think it will benefit her in the long run for years to come.

She has all the potential in the world to succeed, and it begins with the Empire State Games. If she soaks up as much experience as she can in the games, I can't imagine how amazing Siska will be as a high school senior.

To read today's feature on Eva Siska, click here.

Sam Speer, a Poughkeepsie Journal intern, is a senior at SUNY New Paltz where he studies journalism, and a native of Nyack.

No comments: