Friday, July 27, 2007

Hudson Valley's bats not quiet

PURCHASE — Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

OK, so I am in the library at Manhattanville College right now, which seems apropros since just a few hundred feet away from us here in Quiet Central is the noise of the Empire State Games.

Hudson Valley's baseball team put together an offensive barrage this morning. It was quite a display. The team seems to have a confident air, but they know they need to win this afternoon's tilt and then an early-morning game tomorrow at Pace before they are even allowed to THINK about the medal round.

The fourth inning felt like the longest 40-45 minutes or so of my life. The Valley batted around before Central was even able to get an out in an eight-run fourth in their 13-1 win. The players seem really excited to play for Steve Greller, who clearly knows his stuff.

I would be remiss if I didn't also acknowledge the strong pitching performance of Mamaroneck's Sean Hagen, who threw a six-hitter to Kyle Kalaka of Wappingers Falls behind the plate, often after long stretches of waiting for his teammates to stop hitting.

Well I want to yell and scream now. Well not really, but I can see the Manhattanville cafe from here and I haven't had any coffee today. Time to take a little breather before I head over to the soccer field.

Talk to you later.
Phil Strum

No comments: